Monday, June 20, 2011

Annotations

“Et Cetera:1937 Flood.” Louisville Life. www.KET.org. ND. Web. 19 June 2011
This article gave pretty basic overview of the flood of 1937.It is from the Kentucky Educational Television’s website. I feel the purpose of the article is to just get a general idea about the flood and then intrigue you to look up more on your own. The article contained facts about the water levels and how much rainfall occurred in such a short span of time. The reality was that at that point in time the technology we had was not strong enough to contain the flood, no one knows if it will ever happen again, but it is always a possibility. While reading this the quote that stuck out in my mind was this, “But it seems that the Great Flood couldn’t wash away Louisville’s fighting spirit. After a major cleanup, things were back on track by Derby Day in May.” This stuck out in my mind because no other article really talks about the rebuilding of the city or even just the recovery. I loved that it shows Louisville drive to succeed as a city and how a major tradition was not over looked because of the disaster. Having gone to my first Kentucky Derby this year the sense of history and tradition is still not lost after all of these years.


“Louisville Rememebers ’37 Flood.” Mayor Fischer Newsroom. www.louisvilleKY.gov. 22 Jan 2007. Web. 19 June 2011
This email article took a new perspective of the flood. It was an article about a 70 year anniversary ceremony that   through. Being the Mayor’s page, there was clearly a connection of respect that he wanted to show for his city. Mayor Jerry Abramson is quoted saying, “The spirit of Louisville’s citizens rose to fight the rising flood waters those dark and cold days 70 years ago. We should remember and replicate that spirit as we continue our city’s ongoing efforts to prepare for disasters and catastrophic challenges of all kinds.” this quote shows his trust in Louisville and his respect, because Louisville has flooded since then and it will more than likely flood again but We can stand strong against anything the world want to throw at us. I really liked this article because I have seen the signs around the city, but I never knew there was a dedication ceremony about them and I didn’t know they were only put up a few years ago. Of all the articles I have read, I really liked the ones written by Louisville residents, they seem to share a glimpse of hope no matter how dreary the floods were, that can’t be said  for all the articles, some were very depressing focusing only on the damage, not the rebirth.

1 comment:

  1. OK, so what I am seeing here is an angle into the rebirth of the areas that needed to be rebuilt afterward. This is an angle you can take with local business-people if your original idea with residential survivors does not work out. I hope you were successful in finding something on that angle, though. It would make a real nice oral history.

    ReplyDelete